Wednesday, January 23, 2013

"Most people have no idea how good their body was designed to feel."

Even though you're bipolar Texas, I still love you.. especially on days like this. Absolutely loving this weather. I may get crazy and go buy the first swimsuit of the season today. I've been feeling kinda crappy the passed couple days, so when I haven't been in class I've been in bed reading this little gem pictured below. (I've also been reading Fifty Shades of Grey, but that's beside the point.) Lots of good stuff in there. Check it out.


There's a pretty terrible flu-like virus going around the gym and at school. I don't ever get sick, like ever, (Taylor Swift voice) and I absolutely hate going to the doctor because I don't like the concoction of things they give you intended to make you feel better, but end up making you feel worse. But, yesterday I broke down and went to get a flu test just to make sure; because chances are if I got the flu I would probably fail the semester, miss my first Olympic Lifting meet, not get to spend my spring break in Austin, then end up jumping off my house. That last part was supposed to be dramatic, but I've jumped off of my roof before and it's not that impressive. Anyway, what I learned at the doctor yesterday was that the flu test is pretty painful and I don't have it. FYI, they stick a long q-tip up into your brain and swab it around, but the nurse told me my eyebrows were perfect while she did it so it ended up being okay. So, I went home and made the "Nature's Flu Shot". The only time I've ever gotten the flu was when I got the real flu shot when I was 16, then went to Houston for a soccer tournament  and spent the weekend in a really pathetic, miserable state; coughing all over my roommates for 3 days. They loved me. 


Juice of 4-6 Fresh Lemons
1 Bulb Fresh Garlic
2-3 tsp. of Ground Ginger, or fresh if you have it
2-3 tsp. Honey 
2-3 cups Pineapple Juice
1/2 tsp. Cayenne Powder
2 tbs. Apple Cider Vinegar

Combine all ingredients in blender and puree. Take 1 cup per day, up to 3 times per day; store the rest in a glass jar in the fridge. Also, make sure you have some food in your stomach when you take it, if not you could have some gnarly heart burn. It tastes like what I imagine swallowing fire, then getting punched in the mouth right after feels like. But, the tastes lasts about 5 seconds and the flu lasts/ruins your entire month, so suck it up. I drank 2 cups of this, then took a nap. When I woke up, I felt like a million bucks. I even made it to the gym and hit a snatch balance PR. Holla. 

Annnnnd I'm making these cookies for my kid's class tonight. My mom made them last week and I meant to take them to the gym, but with my stepdad and I in the house, they didn't make it that far.

Chocolate Chunk Paleo Cookies


1 cup almond flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. baking soda
3 tbs. melted coconut oil 
2 tbs. honey 
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbs. almond milk
1/4 cup dark chocolate pieces

1. Preheat oven to 350 and line pan with parchment paper.
2. Combine dry ingredients into medium bowl. 
3. Whisk wet ingredients together in separate smaller bowl. 
4. Add wet to dry ingredients and mix. 
5. Use a tablespoon to measure cookie drops, then pat each down lightly. You may have to use your hands to ball them up very small. My dough was a little crumble-y, so I added an egg to the batter and whisked, then they were perfect.
6. Bake about 10 minutes, or until bottoms turn slightly brown. 
7. Remove from oven and let cool about 3 minutes. They will come out soft, but give them a few minutes and they will harden up.

And when you're cooking, remember:


1 comment:

  1. Great blog!! And people, remember to label the "flu shot" jar in the fridge or else somebody might get a mouthful of "what the hack!" Ask Chris. Lol

    ReplyDelete